Long recognized for its unique and laidback feel, Austin offers a wide range of options for your reception, wedding ceremony, bachelor/ette parties and entertaining out-of-town guests that you’ll find nowhere else.
From historic buildings, breathtaking gardens and parks, as well as lake adventures, there are many ways to make your wedding as unique as your relationship. Here are just a few.
Texas State Capitol, the only state capital taller than the U.S. Capitol building. The grandeur of this Texas monument is the perfect backdrop for sunset weddings or afternoon photo sessions. Take your guests on a tour of the Capitol Visitors Center with a theater, exhibits and gift shop.
The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum housing historic documents, photos and life-size Texas exhibits. Out-of-town guests will get to see for themselves why Texans figure everything is bigger and better here. The museum is also available for your reception.
The Umlauf Sculpture Garden, 605 Robert E. Lee Rd. offers handcrafted sculptures scattered throughout a romantic garden trail. With towering canopies of trees, waterfall and lily pond, the garden features 200 sculptures, paintings and drawings to add that bit of culture to your special day
The Zilker Botanical Gardens, 2220 Barton Springs offers a number of different gardens. Among their scenic trails you can find the Hartman Prehistoric Gardens, where dinosaur tracks were found in 1992, the Green Garden with native and well-adapted plants, rose garden, and the Taniguchi Oriental Garden. Each garden is unique and sure to provide a perfect backdrop for your wedding portrait. Call 512-477-8672 for information.
The Zilker Clubhouse is one of the popular choices in Austin located at 200 Arnulfo Alonso Way, off of Rollingwood Drive. This facility has a panoramic view of downtown Austin, nestled in the hills west of Zilker Park and can accommodate 150 inside.
The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center 4801 La Crosse Avenue offers a natural Hill Country beauty. The Gallery has floor to ceiling windows overlooking a wildflower meadow and gorgeous courtyard where guests can dance the night away under the stars.
The Mayfield Cottage and Gardens is located at 3505 West 35th Street on a 23 acre wooded estate. The picturesque-style cottage features a beautiful scenic garden with a large preserved landscape with nature trails. This historic 1870s home is surrounded by lily ponds, peacocks and palms and is the ideal enchanted setting for your wedding and reception. The cottage accommodates 45 comfortably with a maximum of 100 attendees on the grounds. It is perfect for a small intimate to medium sized event.
To reserve a city park or facility you must contact the Parks and Recreation Department. They have designed a draw system to facilitate booking reservations for their wedding sites. Some requirements must be met in order to be considered in the draw to reserve a site:
- You must mail a letter 10 months prior to the reservation date to the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department: Reservations, 200 South Lamar, Austin, TX 78704.
- Your letter must be mailed between the 1st and the 20th of the month to be included in that month’s draw. Any letters postmarked after the 20th are not included.
- You must include the following information: name, address, phone number, requested site, number of guests, indicate whether or not you will sell alcoholic beverages, and three dates in the month in the order of preference that you would like to choose from. The draw is held on the last day of the month and you will be informed by telephone if you are selected.
- You may place a reservation in person or by telephone six months in advance of the requested date. Be sure to call the Parks and Recreation Department at 512-974-6797 to get their complete rules and regulations sent to you.
- After the 6th month, you can contact the department directly. Sites are available on a first come, first serve basis.